Saturday, December 17, 2011

Mother's Day


           To all mothers today, thank you!  Thank you for giving of yourself even when it was not easy or convenient. Thank you for your sacrifice. I know my parents sacrificed a lot for me. I didn’t realize it at the time, but as I grew older and had children of my own, I realized more the sacrifice my parents made for me. Often they went without so that their children would have what they needed.
They also gave me something that was very precious: faith in God, and in the Lord Jesus Christ. The foundation they laid helped me to walk in the faith I have today. And upon that foundation, my wife, Laura, and I have been able to pass our faith on to our children. Of course each person has to make faith their own, but mothers have such an important role to play in “passing the faith along” to their kids.
            That is the principle we see working in 2Timothy 1:5, where the apostle Paul says to a young pastor named Timothy, “I call to remembrance the genuine faith this is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.”
This “genuine faith” was passed from Timothy’s grandmother to his mother, and finally to Timothy. All the people’s lives that Timothy touched were beneficiaries of this “genuine faith” that he received from his mother and grandmother. This should serve as a reminder to all of us that no one stands on his own merits, but rather on the shoulders (so to speak) of others who have gone before us, others who have “kept the faith” and “passed on the faith”.
            That is why today we want to celebrate the very important role mothers and grandmothers play in the lives of their children and grandchildren. The faith that you have received can be passed along to the next generation, and continue to impact lives even when we are gone.
            This principle can also be applied to a woman who has not borne any children in the natural, but has been enabled by God to be a “spiritual mom” to others.
Where would many of us be if we had not received encouragement from “spiritual moms” and “spiritual dads” in the faith? Oh yes, fathers have a very important role too, but we will reserve that message for Fathers Day.
            My prayer is that mothers are encouraged today, encouraged that you are making a difference in the lives of your children. Hopefully, one day you will be able to say, “It was worth it all”. To all mothers, may God’s abundant grace be with you, and Happy Mothers Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment